Monday, February 11, 2013

From the mouth of our babe

It is 9:15 ish and I am literally dragging. Mondays are a crazy day around here, but let's be frank everyday has been crazy as of late. But back to Mondays. It is crazy because normally none of us are terribly excited about the coming week and we kind of take it all out on Mondays. Sorry Monday, you will just have to deal.

Today was not any different than the last. We got up, I went running/walking, we showered, packed our things and all went to our fulfill our duties. I went to teach at VMI, Jimmy went to Staunton, and Lucy went to her babysitters. When we all met up around 2pm we all looked a little worn-torn. Jimmy said our car has been grinding and I was just extremely tired. When we got home I saw the state of our house and went into stress-mode (i.e. try to clean everything all at once). It is not very productive because I continually find new things to clean and usually I can't finish what I started initially. And then I am even more tired and maybe just a wee bit emotional to boot. Lucy was fine. She was such a trooper. Jimmy and I are such basket cases about figuring our the next few months and Lucy just brings so much happiness to the situation. I called someone about borrowing a car until we could get our car in and out of the mechanics and then we all had some snacks. Sounds bad right? I know it was mostly our attitudes, but times seem perilous when you are cranky.

And that was how 3:00 pm looked, Jimmy and I dragging, Lucy running around like a banshee, happy and giddy. When Jimmy left to go back to school I decided, well I should do the dishes. And so I did the dishes and started the laundry, and, and, etc... To this I heard miss Lucy cry, "Mommy play!" I think she knows, like Jimmy, when I need to slow down and relax. So I went into her room and we played with her Duplos. By golly it made me feel better. Not to mention she actually played out a little scene for me when she took the cougar, which she calls "roar!", and fed it a carrot and then said "tasty!" Yes, her cougar likes carrots.

Later as I was making dinner she was rolling around on the floor with the quilt I made her, pretending to be sleeping, sporadically questioning "dinner-time?" It wasn't nagging which was a pleasant surprise.

When Lucy and I finally sat down for dinner, pancakes with peanut butter and cinnamon apples she enthusiastically announced her love for peanut butter and happily ate. In fact she didn't spill any on the floor or really on herself. It was just the miracle I needed today. Dead serious. After dinner, we cleaned up, got our wiggles out, cleaned up our toys and right before the bath read some of Lucy's books. Simple, not stressful and again, just what I needed on this Monday.

Mondays are terrible(I am being very dramatic), but thankfully Lucy doesn't care about that. She really did turn my whole mood around. Let's give a hip-hip- hooray for Lucy! She has saved us all from another hard Monday. 


1 comment:

  1. Good for Lucy --- I think all of us kind of have it in for Mondays... Enjoyed Karen's visit.

    ReplyDelete