Thursday, June 12, 2014

I'm catching up, I promise....

Another installment of updates...

Boston Marathon and training for a marathon - The Monday after Gretchen and Chris' wedding Jimmy had the day off. It was Patriots' Day. That's right a state holiday here in Mass and it is wonderful! We needed a day off after the weekend we had just experienced. Lucy was sick as sick could be, and Jimmy wasn't as excited about seeing the marathon, so they stayed home, while I took the little Sam to see the Boston Marathon.

Jimmy's aunt and uncle live in Hopkinton, where the marathon starts, so they told us where to go. I watched with Jimmy's aunt for probably and hour or so, and let me just say it stirred something within me. There were people running while pushing wheelchairs. And they weren't pushing children either, full grown people. It was amazing! Not to mention the elite runners. They were insanely fast. It made me want to run Boston, and another marathon pretty darn bad.

So I thought on that for a good while, and decided on the Hartford marathon, in October. It is a feeder race for the Boston Marathon. Unfortunately I probably won't be able to use that as a qualifier for next year, the registration will already be filled by then, but I am running none the less. I signed up the day after I turned 30. I felt like I had to make a commitment, and being 30 and all, I thought it was a good way to start a new decade.

So I am waking up at 5am and following a marathon schedule I found online. It is not as rigorous as the one I did 8 years ago, but I am not as physically fit as I was 8 years ago. That being said, I am happy to say that I have already run 13+ miles. It was unintentional, considering it was supposed to be a 11 mile run, but I did it. We will see if I can get a good time come October.

And by the way, my birthday was great. Jimmy made me a lovely angel food cake with berries and cream, and the next night he took me out to Indian food. It is really one of my favorite types of food. We went to place in Ashland, and the food was authentic, as was noted by the extreme heat of all the food. We enjoyed it!



But in other events.

My new job(s) -  I am now fully training as an adjunct for Southern NH university. When we got to Millis I decided to apply, again, and within a month or so they asked for my transcripts, then I had a phone interview, and lastly I went through a 3 week training course. Now, I am waiting for assignment. Initially they told me I would probably start in their June term, but I haven't heard anything, so I think it might not be until the next term. That might be a good thing. We kind of have a busy June. Lucy starts swimming lessons.  Either way, I am happy to have a job lined up.

I am also applying to Babson in their science department. Yeah, they have a science department, not a physics or mathematics department. If I get a job with them it will be in a class where I teach a variety of science related topics, Energy, Life in the Universe, Electric Technology. We will see where it leads. That would start in the fall.

Sibling visitors - Wow, I am so bad at putting these events in order. Oh well, at least I am getting them written.

My lovely brother Peder came to visit at the end of April. He had a Monday off, so he came late Sunday spent a few days with us. We went to the park, had frozen yogurt, went to the library. All the things you can do in Millis. Lucy loved it! Sam tolerates fun sometimes, but I think he started warming up to Peder by the end.







At the end of May, Poul and Danielle paid us a visit. They came right after Lucy birthday, and right before mine. We celebrated by having chili, for which both my parents and Peder also came to visit. My mom brought some dresses that her mom had made for us as children. Lucy is just the right size for most of them.  Also, I believe there was some kite flying in all of this excitement. After my parents and Peder left, we played some rousing games of Flux and Dr. Lucky. Fun times!  The next morning Danielle and Poul took us out to breakfast. It was so nice to have them around.




Lucy's Birthday - Lucy had a lovely little birthday and birthday party. Seeing as how she is still young and still won't really remember what we do, we go SIMPLE. I am not really a party person, but I do like having people over to eat my food. Not that my food is anything special, I just like to cook for other people. Anyways.... On her birthday we had pasta and meatballs, because that is what she wanted and we went out for frozen yogurt. I really didn't feel like making two cakes, I am lazy like that. She "opened" her bike in the morning and over the course of the weekend received two kites, a tea set, a monkey named Coconut and LOTS of chalk!





The next day was party day. We invited her cousins, Ada, Alice and Clara, their parents and the Calverts. The Calverts are from our branch and they have three cute kids, one of which is Lucy's age. She calls him Gretchen, even though his name is Preston. It is cute.

Back to the party. We decided the easiest way to party was to take the kids to the park. We live right next to a park, so that is where we went. The kids were pretty happy, even the older ones. Sheesh Ada and Alice are strong. I can't really remember being able to climb around a play ground like they do. Well, I take that back. I was quite the little dare devil on our Nelson school ground. I am pretty sure the stuff I did would not be allowed these days. I did a lot of crazy jumps and flips. It was dangerous.
Lucy is quite proficient on this playground. She climbs up pretty much every part of the large slides and can zip down the slides without much hesitation. Clara bouncing behind made it all the more exciting to watch. Everyone seemed to have a good time. Nathan took some great pics, I will have to upload those later.

We left when we started to feel raindrops, heading back for a light lunch and cake. Sandwiches were devoured and watermelon was enjoyed. The kids played pin the nose on Olaf, which Lucy won and the kids ran around like banshees, which I think actually happened before we went to the park. Pinning the nose Olaf that is. The kids ran around like banshees before and after the park.

Then we had cake. Lucy was very adamant about chocolate peanut with blueberries. I but I blueberries on the outside edge, just in case people didn't think peanut butter, chocolate and blueberries go together. I used the frosting recipe that Heather has raved about, and goodness gracious it was good. There is a lot of butter in the recipe, but it is so good, you almost forget...almost. We sang, we partied. It was nice.






So that is all I will do for now....

Tangerini's CSA
Nicole's wedding
Ashland State Park
Sam walking
The dentist
Kiddie pool
Our flowers - thank you past tenants
Our Utah friends visit

No comments:

Post a Comment