Saturday, September 8, 2012

mountain racing and somersaults

Today Jimmy and I ran trail races. A better phrase would be "mountain races". Jimmy's was a 5 mile race, and mine was a half marathon (13.1 miles). It was rough, not bad, just rough. I guess the quote on the back of the shirt best describes the manta for this race "your pain is our pleasure..." And boy, did they do a good job. 

My race started with a three mile hill A.K.A mountain, then 4ish miles of downhill, and then rolling hills until the finish.

I am not ashamed to admit that I did a lot of hiking as well as running. It was a lot more effective than using my running stance the entire way. My time was over 2 hours, which normally would depress me, but it was such a hard course that I was not disappointed at all. The winning man ran a 1:30ish, and the winning woman a 2:03ish. So getting a 2:14ish, didn't feel bad at all. It was by far the hardest race I have ever done.

Jimmy said his race went decently as well. He came in third overall. Yeah, that's right third! And he said that he was able to run with a few people around him. I think he was pretty nervous about running by himself since his training was always with me. And though he wished he had run more, he still felt good at the end. His was also very hilly and difficult.

When we sat down to eat lunch, there was a couple talking about how the husband did ironman races. Did I mention that in 2020 I want to do an Ironman? Anyways, generally the kind of people that ran today were all pretty insane/intense, but in a really friendly sort of way. Besides the 5 mile, and half marathon, there was also a marathon and 40 mile race. I am glad I didn't decide to venture the marathon this time (or 40 miler!).

I have to say, the trails were beautiful, and made me miss my cross country days. Plus, it is a really nice park only 40 minutes or so from Lexington. I think we may take Lucy hiking there sometime. Maybe not a 13 mile hike...

In other news, Lucy learned how to roll over. She is walking, so this is not the infant rolling over stuff. This is the somersault rolling stuff. I don't know if you would give her a "10" for form, but certainly a "10" for effort.

My grandparents have video of me doing a series of somersaults when I was young, so naturally my Grandpa asked over the summer if Lucy had started to do them as well. Well, here is the video of her doing somersaults. Maybe not quite a many, but she still has some technique to refine before she can do multiple somersaults at once. 


No comments:

Post a Comment