Friday, July 22, 2011

water and such...

We have had many occasions to introduce Lucy to water. Bathtime is her very favorite time of the day. If she is cranky, she breaks out in smiles as soon as we put her in the bath. In fact she calms down as soon as she hears the water turn on. It makes me want to put her in the bath all day sometimes.


Grandma Schillemat introduced her to Center pond. She seemed quite indifferent about the whole thing. But the water wasn't that cold and she did a good job at remaining pretty calm.


Jimmy took her in the Grandma Coop's kiddy pool yesterday. The first try was right after her nap. Jimmy was a little too excited and she was still groggy and hungry. Needless to say she let out a scream that sounded like she had just been stabbed with needles. We tried again after she was fed and little more pleasant. She flinched a few times, but wasn't upset.


Not to mention she has touched some ocean water and Granite Lake water with her toes. Slowly but surely we will make her a water lover yet.

Besides her natural affinity for water, we have noticed as of late, her pleasure in facing outwards. Meaning, she really loves to be held facing forwards, looking at the world around her. I think it tires her out as well. So we tried the home-made moby wrap (thank you Melanie!) with her facing forward. She likes it. Tomorrow we are going to a Red Sox game and that will be the fashion we will be stylin'.

I feel like I have extra limbs when she is facing out like this. Jimmy like to call me 'Octo-Mom.' Yes, it is reference to the original Octo-mom...Though I only have eight limbs and not eight same-aged children.


And naps...well, we are trying to get her to take naps in her crib. It has been rather successful. For the first few weeks, well, pretty much up until last week, I couldn't get her to take a nap anywhere but on me. Though there were some flukish (albeit incredible cute) times when she would fall asleep on the living room floor (see picture below). It was very difficult to do anything, including going to the bathroom or taking a shower. This past week I have tried to catch her before she gets too crabby, swaddle her, rock her a little and put her in her pack and play. Normally it takes a few tries to get her to sleep, but she has taken some extended naps. It is heavenly! She is gettting better naps, and I am getting some time to take care of myself. No, we don't really have scheduled naps yet. I am afraid that will take another month or two to really pin down. But we are moving away from always sleeping on me (which is partially sad, because I do love me a good snuggle!)


By the way, it has been insanely hot these last few days. Not the temperatures of the Midwest, but the humidity certainly has rivaled the country's highest. Today I went for a run and I felt like I was running through slush, warm slush. It was difficult. Yes, I am running again, but it is very slow going. I don't always run that far, and I am pretty sure I could walk faster than I am running. But it is a start.

And that is all for now. I feel so accomplished...

1 comment:

  1. Just so you know...naps are still very much a work in progress.

    ReplyDelete