Wednesday, April 24, 2013

A warning

Today was a weird day. It started out quite predictably. I went for a walk, got ready for work and Jimmy and Lucy both prepared themselves for a walk downtown to take advantage of the Farmer's market on Wednesdays. I am still sad I teach when it it open.

It became quite obvious that today would be weird when we drove up to the VMI campus and there for officers with badges blocking off the main road through VMI. We went to park and then Jimmy and Lucy walked towards town and I went to my office. On my way I was told to take an alternative route. I didn't know why, but I did as I was told.

When I got inside I asked everyone what was going on. Everyone looked confused and we all had questions. And that's when the flurry of e-mails came in. Apparently there was a suspicious package found outside the library and until it was checked by a bomb squad our entire building was to be accessed from the back and all class rooms in the front where closed.

I made some phone calls to Jimmy, telling him that I really didn't know the whole situation but that he should probably not visit me with him spoils from the farmer's market. Getting in the building was going to be a hassle.

And I had class at 10 pm (in a room in the basement near the back of the building), and by 1pm they had detonated the package so everything was cleared. It didn't seem the package amounted to anything and everyone is still kind of confused about the event, but in the end it did rattle me a little bit. Not because I felt like I was in danger, but because I felt like I didn't have the information to make me feel like I was in control. Not that I am control freak, but sometimes not knowing what is going on is more nerve wracking.  This life is a crazy one, I tell you.

With all this stuff going on, I came home kind of exhausted. That happens almost everyday these days, but even more so today. Lucy was a bundle of energy as always. She was running around the house, singing, dancing and having a good time. And I thought "how nice it is to come home to this!" Though I was drained and not much fun to play with Lucy still was happy.

We made a "power" salad  and smoothies for dinner and then Lucy and I played on the deck until it started raining. Side note: either Lucy was really hungry or her taste buds are changing, but that little girl ate lettuce! She is a fabulous eater, but lettuce is not normally her favorite. Tonight she ate tomatoes, peppers, carrots, radishes and even some lettuce. I was floored and very happy. And in case you are wondering. My dad used to call me a rabbit for liking salads so much. Jimmy consents to a salad based dinner once a week as long as it is substantial  hence the "power" salad. This is not just lettuce my friends, it is fully loaded goodness.

Considering the weirdness of this day, I felt very blessed to end on a high note. My family really is the most important part of my life. I hugged Lucy a little bit tighter and longer when I put her to bed tonight. I think I need to remember that even when life can be crazy and unpredictable sometimes.


1 comment:

  1. Glad you are all safe. Unfortunately, our calm, safe way of life is no longer the norm.

    ReplyDelete