Sunday, January 2, 2011

Goals 2011

I have been looking at several blogs, and I notice a theme: GOALS. I am not a stranger to these motivating ideas that we as people so naturally concoct, especially at the beginning of the year. In college I spent at least 15 minutes at the end of the each night making a to-do list for the next day. And when I was bored in class, I would make lists of the things I needed to finish within the week/month/semester, what have you. It was a little bit of an OCD tendency, but it worked for me.

Lately however, I have not been in the goal oriented mindset. I mean, it is not like I didn't get anything done last year. I did finish my thesis, and that did require several lists, and goalish type things. Jimmy and I successfully moved to VA and have established ourselves in a new community. I have worked hard to help Jimmy in Law school by being supportive emotionally and financially. I am very grateful for all of these things, so believe you me, I am not complaining.

However in all of that I didn't really do anything personally satisfying, like running some races, or making more efforts spiritually. I want to make some goals that will make me more efficient, healthy (emotionally, spiritually, and mentally), productive, and self-sufficient.

So this year I am going to write some of my goals down here, publicly encouraging you to comment on and question my progress. I really want to make some personal strides in the right direction.

Here goes:
Establish a daily routine (before and after the baby is born)
Maintain a healthy diet (Multi-colored meals)
Attend the Temple at least once a month
Study the scriptures daily (with a topic in mind-choose a topic for the week)
Run a half marathon (this should force me to get back in shape after the baby is born)
Recreate a family budget and stick to it (Manageable and easy to maintain--only spend within our means)
Use my sewing machine (clothes, blankets, etc...)
Try at least 30 new recipes (keep them organized)
Write in my journal/blog at least 2 times a week

Oh gosh, I could keep going, but that could get a little overwhelming. I will stop here. There is no obligation to my readers to become my personal motivators, I am just asking for any advice/ideas on how I can motivate myself to do all of these things.

Happy 2011 and happy goal-setting!

3 comments:

  1. I think they are very reasonable goals and you are so right in trying to do some things for yourself... not much help to anyone if you are not mentally and physically fit yourself. In my mind, however, you have already accomplished that goal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey we should run the half together. I was thinking about talking to you about it. I think it would be really fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah Ange! Let's do it! Post-pregnancy race :)

    ReplyDelete