Wednesday, March 16, 2011

preparations

I have spent the last few days doing some research. I am very interested in how this childbirth thing is going to happen, and so I have been reading, "googling", and even watching some birth stories. When Jimmy and I leave our childbirth class I feel pretty good about the whole thing. I can sit on a birthing ball, I can swing my hips from side to side, and I can definitely handle back rubs. I say, "sign me up!" I am ready. But then I read the books and I watch the videos and I think, geez, those women sure are screaming and crying a lot.

I only vaguely remember Geoffrey being born. My mom thought it would be a good experience. And it was. I was 11 years old at the time. I watched the heart rate monitors with a very extreme excitement and I cut the embilical cord. Generally, I don't think I really understood the pain my mother endured, and this was her sixth delivery.

Now I am contemplating my ability to endure pain. It seems to be the most recurrant consequence of labor. I told Jimmy last night that I was a little nervous because I don't think I have ever had an experience where I have tested my pain limitations. I have run, and been exhausted, but even then my body was trained for that experience. I have never really broken a bone or had a terrifically horid sickness. All in all I have been pretty healthy, and that makes me nervous. Does that make the whole giving birth thing more difficult because I have never really had to go through anything like it before?

I am going to try natural childbirth, but not to the detriment of my child or myself. I realize if something is wrong and the child or I is unsafe I shouldn't resist medication or interventions just because I am determined to do it all by myself. I think making a finite resolve in that direction could be foolish and downright dangerous. That being said, I do want to experience the triumph of giving birth naturally if that is what I am intended to do. Knowing my decision, I am trying to figure out how I am going to be strong enough for the process. Labor positions, breathing techniques, support system, etc... Let's just hope that Mini Coop agrees to be healthy and small!

2 comments:

  1. You can do it!!! My basic philosophy on childbirth is that women have been doing this for thousands of years and our bodies are made to do this. I really liked reading about Hypnobirthing. I haven't really done it, but like their general ideas about things. If you work with your body instead of tensing up with the pain you will really help things out. I found that I had intense feelings in my lower back during labor. I had Kenneth massage that area with a tennis balls and it really helps. I would love to talk with you more if you are interested. Email me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, big babies usually come out just fine. Ada was 8.2 and she didn't have a real problem coming out. Alice was 9.9 and came out in two pushes. My grandma likes to tell stories about her little tiny friend who would pop out ten pound babies like it was nothing. The more important thing than baby size is mother health when it comes to birth. And as Heidi says, actually working with your body. Because it usually knows what it's doing.

    As with just about everything, I have very decided opinions on childbirth. If you ever want my opinions, feel free to ask.

    ReplyDelete