Thursday, September 2, 2010

3 hour classes

I would like to rant about my dislike of 3 hour classes. I teach two of them. One of Tuesday night and the other on Wednesday night.

Beside the obvious fact that sitting in class for 3 hours is no fun, it has become very real to me that students do not learn effectively when they have to learn large chunks of information in one night. And I do not like teaching large chunks all in one night. I don't have time to go over old homework, or even do a considerate amount of example problems to make the information sink in more thoroughly. And although I am more than willing to meet with them outside of class, a lot of these students have families, work, and go to school. They just don't have that kind of time, and I feel for them.

But as for now, I will deal with my frustration and hope that all these students are realizing the significance of their decision when they signed up for my section. Oh well! Life goes on.

In other news, Jimmy's parents are in town. They are having so much fun seeing all of the historical sites. Lucky! I can't wait until we have a free weekend to do the same.

Plus! And this is a big plus--they brought all of our wedding presents. Dishware, baking pans, towels, etc... It is like our wedding all over again.

1 comment:

  1. Sure appreciate the time you take to write on your blog. Glad the wedding gifts are finally with you.

    ReplyDelete